KHAJURAHO tourism

 

hotel/resorts in Orchha

 

accommodation in panna

Khajuraho temples

 

The temples at Khajuraho were built during the Chandella dynasty, which reached its peak between 950 and 1050. Over 20 of the original 85 temples have survived for more than a thousand years despite being lost to civilization until in 1838, a British army engineer, Captain T.S. Burt rediscovered them.

 

These group of Temples falls into three distinct groups and belong to two different religions – Hinduism and Jainism.

 

In these temples, there is the depiction of royalty, armies, wrestling, kinship, war, courtship, marriage, lovemaking, music and dancing, spiritual teachings, union, meditation, bliss, gods, goddesses, plants, animals and an abundance of all human forms.

 

The three main compartments of the temples are the entrance or ardha mandapa, the assembly hall, or mandapa and an inner sanctum - garbha-griha.

 

 

Each of the temples are on a high and solid raised masonry platform adorned with elegant sculptures on their exteriors and interiors. These walled sculptures include depiction of numerous deities, their attendants, celestial maidens in sensuous positions and provocative postures, embracing couples (some of them in erotic sexual positions), dancers and musicians and couples engaged in various refinements of courtly love. Some of these much-famed or much-notorious sexual postures are said to follow the Kama Sutra, the ancient Indian manual of art of making love.

 

Khajuraho temples is indeed one of the best location to admire at some of the finest sculpting in India.

 

Accessibility

Airport: 1 km. Railway Station: 1 km

 

Khajuraho light and sound show

 

hotels in Khajuraho

 

 

 
 :: Disclaimer :: Contact us